Friday 25 May 2018

Hi, my name is Stephen and I'm a salsaholic...

Hi my name is Stephen and I’ve been dancing Cuban salsa with Tiempo España Dance Academy since 2016. I didn’t come from a dance background like some of my peers, but that hasn’t impeded my development in anyway; nor would I expect it to hinder yours if you’re considering joining us. I’ve always been an active person and have taken part in various activities and sports; the most regular of which prior to salsa being basketball, which I played for several years.


I stumbled across Cuban salsa as most people do through word of mouth. My basketball team had recently disbanded and I had a bit of free time on my hands. I decided to give it a go as a laugh, as I had previously enjoyed a brief period of time trying out line dancing (after a holiday to Texas) which I had enjoyed, but found the demographic of dancers far different from that of the American youth.

When I first started at Tiempo España I found it a strange environment to be in; a mirrored dance studio was far from the norm for me at the time. Ben and Aimi were very welcoming however, as were the other students and I soon felt at home. Within a matter of weeks I felt as though I belonged here and the sense of family that has only strengthened since then started developing. When I see beginners joining us now I often see how nervous or intimidated they appear as they walk through the door. It's humbling to think back to that time and I always try and put them at ease empathising with them and explaining we have all felt that way; after all it's only natural to be nervous when trying something new.

My enjoyment of Salsa has only gained and gained since the beginning. The more I develop as a dancer the easier and more enjoyable it seems. I still have moments of frustration when struggling with a complex move, but that is only natural and we all go through it. I sometimes forget that temporary failure is simply learning and is the only way to really improve. These moments are thankfully fairly rare for me now and I spend most of my time laughing and having a good time.

I started teaching level 1 towards the end of 2017 and soon after passed my level 2 teaching assessment. Teaching at these levels has given me a better understanding of the dance at large and a deeper appreciation for it. In order for me to become a teacher, I had to revisit these beginning stages myself and dance as a follower. Being able to dance as both leader and follower has improved my personal dancing considerably but also helps me understand and break down partner moves; this in turn helps my teaching. I initially wasn’t convinced that I wanted to take the step in becoming a teacher but I soon changed my mind. I love to see the excitement and satisfaction on my student’s eyes when they complete a new move correctly for the first time or suddenly understand a concept. It fills me with as much satisfaction as when I first learnt the moves and I can’t help but feel proud of my students and thankful to be where I am.

Two years on from joining Tiempo España Dance Academy I can’t picture myself being anywhere else. The friends that I’ve made here have become my extended family and I don’t know what I'd do without them. While dancing I forget about my day job, my worries or stresses; I simply just dance and feel better because of it. If you are reading this and debating whether or not to give salsa a go I urge you to do so. It's changed my life for the better, it can do the same for you if you let it.