Friday 10 February 2017

Guantanamera (Part 2)


The lyrics of the song Guantanamera based on José Martí’s poem as well as their English translation are as follows:


Yo soy un hombre sincero
I am a sincere man
De donde crece la palma
From where the palm tree grows
Y antes de morirme quiero
And before I die I want
Echar mis versos del alma
To let out the verses of my soul


Mi verso es de un verde claro
My verse is light green
Y de un carmín encendido
And it is flaming red
Mi verso es un ciervo herido
My verse is a wounded stag
Que busca en el monte amparo
Seeking refuge on the mountain


Cultivo una rosa blanca
I grow a white rose
En julio como en enero
In July just as in January
Para el amigo sincero
For the honest friend
Que me da su mano franca
Who gives me his open hand


Con los pobres de la tierra
With the poor people of the earth
Quiero yo mi suerte echar
I want to cast my lot
El arroyo de la sierra
The brook of the mountains
Me complace más que el mar
Gives me more pleasure than the sea


While the song is generally accepted to be patriotic in nature many opinions have been formed as to the meaning the lyrics are trying to convey.

In the first verse Cuba patriotism is introduced as we learn that it is about an honest dying man from Cuba – “the land where the palm trees grow”.

The "light green" part in the second verse is usually believed to signify Cuba’s nature while the "flaming red" may be interpreted as the red equilateral triangle of the Cuban flag which itself stands for blood and courage. The "wounded stag" is taken to be a symbol of Christ. Thus, the second verse shows that the narrator adheres to Christianity, Cuba’s prevailing religion.



The white rose in the third verse represents love and the purity of friendship as well as the narrator's appreciation of true friendship. The poem from Marti that this verse is based on “Cultivo Una Rosa Blanca” is one of his most famous poems and usually the first poem learned by school children in Latin America.

In the final verse, we learn that the protagonist wants to cast his lot “with the poor people of the earth”, and that he gains more pleasure from the simple wealth of "the brook of the mountains" than from the immense wealth of "the sea." It is this verse that has given the song a more global reputation amongst social equality movements.